Wednesday, December 10, 2008

We made it and we are still alive!!



This past weekend Bret, Mackenzie and I loaded up in the car and made the 4 hour drive over to Las Vegas. The purpose... to have fun, but mainly because Bret and I were going to run the Las Vegas Half Marathon. My mom and sister flew in to watch the munchkin while we ran and it turned more into a fun break weekend for mommy and daddy. Mackenzie spent most of her time with her Geeky (that's what she calls my mom) and her aunt Bibby (what she calls my sister), while mommy and daddy had fun gambling and spending time together.

I am so proud of Bret for doing this race. Let's just say that Bret is not a runner, and doesn't claim to be one. He set up this whole weekend because he knows that I love to run, bless his heart. When I heard that we were going to do this, I set up a training schedule for us. Let's just say with our busy life we never completed it, or I guess I could say we never even started it. The most that Bret ran was 3 miles and the most I ran was 8. I told Bret that we weren't going to run together because we just don't run at the same pace. He wasn't too happy with this at first, but then he got over it and agreed. He kept coming up with solutions on how he was going to beat me, his favorite was that his dad was going to pick him up half way and drop him off at the finish line, he thought the look on my face would have been priceless.

The day before the race Bret and I were not thinking or having the mind set of runners. Bret sat in the sports book all day drinking Jack Daniels and club soda, then finished the night off with McDonalds and a strawberry shake while I decided to walk the strip all day. So in the morning of the race, 4:45 am we were not too happy. To top it off we had to walk about a mile and a half to the Mandalay Bay where the start line was. So it was time to start and we split up immediately because of how many people were there it was too hard to stay right with someone. I finished in 2:03 and I then called Bret, he said that he was at our hotel. I immediately panicked because I thought he got hurt or something, but he just meant that he was running right behind our hotel. He did awesome and finished in 2:34. So we survived and had a blast.

No comments: